Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
If you’re here to learn how to get a professional online jewelry store or jewelry eCommerce website to sell jewelry and accessories online, you’ve come to the right place.
First of all, let’s take a look at some facts about jewelry online sales figures.
Digital Commerce 360 reported last year that online jewelry sales grew 14.2% in 2018. Based on Online Jewelry & Watch Sales Industry in the US – Market Research Report by Ibisworld, the Online Jewelry and Watch Sales industry has experienced tremendous growth at an annualized rate of 4.9% to $8.0 billion in 2019 over the past five years. Rising income and the growing acceptance of online shopping have boosted industry revenue. Additionally, the rising popularity of fashion jewelry spurred by fast-fashion stores has further boosted online sales. Over the next five years to 2024, the industry is expected to outpace the growth of brick-and-mortar stores.
Selling jewelry online is like selling details and final touches which your website should convey. This in turn builds trust in your website and products. And trust matters most in online shopping.
So, let’s crack into the details now.
Why Do I Need An Online Jewelry Store?
As mentioned above, Online Jewelry and Watch Sales industry has an annualized growth rate of almost 5% and is expected to outpace the growth of brick-and-mortar jewelry stores in the next five years.
For this reason alone, whether you are a brick-and-mortar jewelry store and are looking to expand online, or you want to sell your new jewelry and accessories online, you may want to ride that wave. In summary, below are the upsides of selling your products directly on your online jewelry store.
First, you can sell to anyone anywhere anytime. This can boost your sales by leaps and bounds.
Secondly, you can keep your overheads to a minimum while growing your sales.
Fourthly, many people only shop online. You can reach new audience whom you will not have reached by just selling offline.
Fifthly, you can enhance your customer experience by letting them download product information, answering their feedback, posting how-to videos, webinars, FAQs, etc. from your online jewelry store.
Additionally, you may share your posts on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, YouTube, etc. This can funnel your social media visitors and followers back to your jewelry eCommerce website.
Finally, you can improve your corporate image and brand awareness by having an online presence.
What eCommerce Platforms Are Available?
Deciding which eCommerce platforms to use to create your online jewelry store is the very first and yet the most critical step. However, there are tons of options available. Below is a summary of the most popular eCommerce platforms you may use to create your jewelry eCommerce website.
- Marketplaces like Amazon, eBay and Etsy
- Hosted platforms like Shopify, Squarespace, Wix, and Weebly
- Self-hosted platforms like WooCommerce, Magento, OpenCart, and PrestaShop
WooCommerce is the world’s leading eCommerce platform for online stores. According to Datanyze (the world’s leader in technographics), WooCommerce is used by more than 28% of all the eCommerce websites.
Most importantly, WooCommerce is built on WordPress, the world’s leading online content management system that powers over 35% of the websites around the world. WooCommerce is simply the best of the best as far as an eCommerce platform.
Besides, regularly audited by Sucuri, an industry leader in security, WooCommerce online stores are in good hands.
Here are the features of a WooCommerce online store.
How To Create An Online Jewelry Store
If you want to create a WooCommerce online jewelry store to sell your jewelry and accessories, you may follow these simple steps.
- Think of an online store name that is creative and easy to remember.
- Get a domain that matches your blog name.
- Get a hosting plan.
- Install WordPress.
- Install and set up WooCommerce.
- Customize online store design.
- Set up products in your store.
- Set up shipping.
- Connect a payment gateway e.g. Paypal or Stripe
- Start selling.
- Manage orders.
- Analyze sales data.
What Should A Jewelry eCommerce Website Have?
First, to serve the aforesaid purposes, an online jewelry store should include the following pages.
- A slider of high-quality professional images or videos
- A call-to-action button to buy your products
- Featured products with high-quality professional images
- A newsletter sign-up form to stay in touch with your consumers by email about new products, offers, and reviews
- Social media icons
- Write your brand story and business values that sets you apart from others by conveying your personality to build trust
- Write compelling and persuasive product descriptions with details about your brand and products including the value of gems used, the amount of gold, the standards and certificates your jewelry meets
- Publish a selection of high-quality professional product images like ones with a model and some pieces on their own in a neutral background, and a well-lit environment
- Product images must be clear and in focus
- Offer multiple payment options for better user experience like credit card, debit card, Paypal, Stripe, Afterpay, etc.
- Gather reviews from your customers after their visit to share their buying experience
- Link them with your social media channels
- Shipping & Returns
- Jewelry can be expensive so customers need to know if and how they can exchange or return the products
- multiple ways that your customers can reach you on like email, phone, instant chat, social media
Secondly, you may consider using content to market your services. They include blog posts, videos, podcasts, whitepapers, case studies, eBooks, webinars, guides, checklists, and quizzes.
Last but not least, you should also ensure the following in your jewelry eCommerce website.
- Good UI/UX in terms of design, colors, fonts, and navigation
- A high-quality online jewelry store needs clean and sophisticated web design whereas handcrafted jewelry eCommerce website may require cool and boho design
- Short and concise calls-to-action that stand out with compelling words
- Website performance optimization
- Mobile-friendly responsive design
- HTTPS secure website
What is the best eCommerce platform to build your professional online jewelry store? In fact, there is no definitive answer which depends very much on what you are looking for in a jewelry eCommerce website platform.
For instance, as a startup with not much budget and time, you may try Amazon. First, it is because according to Statista, there were over 2 billion visits to Amazon per month from May 2019 to February 2020. This gives your products great exposure but lots of competition too. Secondly, Amazon can manage your inventory, packing and shipping. This lowers your upfront and operating costs as a startup.
If you have time and a bit more budget, you may consider building a Shopify online store from scratch by using their online store templates and purchase a domain at Shopify.
However, if you are a discerning businessperson with long-term goals, you may want to scale up your online jewelry store project with customizations and add-on features to grow your audience and boost your sales using WooCommerce.