Today, we want to give you some tips on how you can use Instagram marketing performance metrics to measure your performance. In the last posts of our Instagram Marketing Strategy Guide Part 1 and Part 2, you’ve learned how you can create an Instagram business account, build a strategy, optimize your business profile, share high-quality content, and grow your fanbase.
Any successful Instagram marketing strategy requires measurements and analyses of your performance on Instagram to boost your results and improve ROI.
Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
Any Instagram Business or Creator account can access Instagram Insights on the Instagram mobile app. It gives you the following Instagram marketing performance metrics you need.
- Increases in performance within the past 90 days
- Total number of accounts reached, content interactions, followers and earnings with breakdowns within the past 90 days
- Total number of accounts reached including
- a breakdown for your followers vs. non-followers
- a breakdown sorted by content type
- your top posts, stories, IGTV videos, reels and live videos sorted by reach
- Impressions and insights on your account activity like profile visits
- Number of taps on action buttons if you have any e.g. website taps, email button taps, business address taps and call button taps
- A breakdown of your post, story, IGTV video, reel and live video content interactions by likes, comments, saves, shares, replies and other actions
- Your top posts, stories, IGTV videos, reels and live videos sorted by interactions
- Total followers when you have at least 100 followers including growth as well as top locations, age range and active times of your followers
- All content you’ve shared across feed, Stories and IGTV within the past 90 days
- Insights specific to each individual post, IGTV video and reel, including:
- What actions people take when they engage with your Instagram account
- How many people see your content and where they find it
- More information on your post if it’s been boosted
Besides, you can use Creator Studio on your computer to measure the performance of your Instagram marketing strategy. It includes all Instagram marketing performance metrics about your Instagram account including paid and organic activity. All insights into your posts and account that are available in the Instagram mobile app are also available in Creator Studio.
To access Instagram insights in Creator Studio, you need to first connect your Instagram account. It gives you the below Instagram marketing performance metrics.
- Gender, age range, and location of your followers and audience
- What actions people take when they engage with your account
- The reach and total number of impressions of your content over the last seven days
- Insights specific to each Instagram post regardless of when they were published
Other Instagram Analytics Tools
Besides the free analytics tools provided by Instagram and Facebook, let’s look at some paid Instagram marketing performance metrics tools. They usually allow you to track Instagram marketing performance metrics in more detail than Instagram Insights and Creator Studio. They include Hootsuite Analytics, Hootsuite Impact, Iconosquare, Phlanx.com, Keyhole’s Instagram Analytics, HubSpot’s Social Inbox, Sprout Social’s Instagram analytics, and more.
If you’re running Instagram ads, Facebook Ads Manager is an all-in-one tool for creating and managing ads, and tracking your ads’ performance on Facebook, Instagram, Messenger or Audience Network.
Instagram Metrics to Track
You may be overwhelmed by so much data to track. That’s why we’ve picked some Instagram marketing performance metrics you should track.
- Engagement (likes, comments, and saves) rate per post and the average engagement rate across all posts evaluate how well your Instagram content resonates with your audience.
- Follower growth rate tracks your follower growth over time.
- Website referral traffic tracks the number of your website visitors from Instagram including your Instagram bio link, Instagram Stories, and UTM parameters in your links.
- Instagram post comment rate tracks how engaged your audience is because comments take more effort than likes. It’s useful for building loyalty and nurturing relationships.
- Impressions per post track the total number of times an Instagram post is served.
- Organic reach per post tracks the total number of unique Instagram accounts who saw an Instagram post.
- Instagram Stories engagement (replies, profile visits and sticker taps) rate
- Instagram Stories completion rate measures the number of viewers of the final Story segment versus the number of viewers of the first Story segment. It indicates how engaging your content is.
- IGTV average percentage watched tracks how much of your IGTV video the average viewer watches. It indicates how engaging your IGTV content is.
- Reels engagement rate tracks your Reel likes, comments, shares, and saves versus your follower count or the number of viewers for that Reel.
- Live engagement rate tracks the total Live comments and shares versus your follower count or the number of accounts that Live stream reached.
- Instagram ads CTR, conversions, and cost per conversion
Now you’ve learned how to use Instagram marketing performance metrics to track your performance and to increase your ROI. Next week, we’ll continue with our Instagram Marketing Strategy Guide series by looking at how you can advertise on Instagram to reach to a large audience.